Custom Braces 101
A custom brace is 100% custom made for each individual patient. These are superior to off-the-shelf braces that do not accommodate the unique shape and movement of an individual’s foot and lower leg.
Braces and splints can be used to prevent injuries and reduce chronic pain, as well as to alter the function of a joint. When a brace or splint is applied, it can limits the range of motion and/or increase stability to prevent pain, inflammation from worsening, and aid in healing. This provides support to stiff joints and stabilizes the area.
What are the benefits of custom bracing?
- Pain relief: Custom bracing can help reduce pain and discomfort caused by injuries or conditions.
- Increased mobility: Custom bracing can help improve mobility and range of motion.
- Protection: Custom bracing can protect the body from further injury and help prevent re-injury.
- Healing. Increased speed of healing process.
Conditions braces are typically used for;
- Fractures of the leg and foot.
- Wrist sprains or overuse injuries.
- Chronic ankle sprains.
- ACL sprain or rupture of the knee – pre and post operatively.
- MCL sprains of the knee.
- SIJ instability.
Is custom knee brace worth it?
By stabilizing the knee joint, custom knee braces help prevent excessive movements and reduce the risk of sprains, ligament tears, and other knee-related injuries. They can be particularly beneficial for individuals recovering from knee surgery and/or a history of knee problems, and increases the speed of healing from injuries.
Request a complimentary consultation with our Physiotherapist to find out more!